Funded by Commonwealth Department of Health, supported by Queensland Health.
WHOS Sunshine Coast® TC known as Najara is a 4 – 6 months residential drug free treatment program based on the Therapeutic Community (TC) model for men and women situated in the Nambour area of the Sunshine Coast Qld.
Our programs aim is to provide a safe and secure environment where men and women who suffer from alcohol and other drug dependence and its related problems can concentrate on their recovery.
The therapeutic community (TC) model means that the community itself, through self-help and mutual support, is the principal means for promoting personal change. The client community, in concert with staff, work together to overcome the problem of substance dependence and promote personal change. At WHOS, clients (referred to as residents) and staff participate in the management and day to day operation of the TC community, providing a safe environment. Residents are encouraged to take responsibility for themselves and build their awareness of the effect their behaviour has on themselves and the community around them.
Residents live in separate gender bungalows on site. All residents participate in the running of the TC Community.
Day to day
Residents attend in-house groups covering topics such as:
- drug dependence education including drug overdose and relapse prevention
- social and communication skills, assertiveness skills and self esteem building
- community ‘unity’ & peer feedback sessions
- harm reduction including education on HIV/Hep C as well as CPR information
- skills based education (e.g. communications skills, conflict resolution)
- computer skills course
Each day, residents are also given free time to relax in the communal /lounge areas or socialise with each other over the pool table, table tennis or outdoor games like totem tennis and volley ball.
Other organised activities include:
- physical exercise such as bushwalks and outings
- wellness sessions e.g. meditation, yoga, exercise
- activity nights once a week such as karaoke, trivia etc.
- Sunday special activities