Funded by NSW Ministry of Health (SLHD), supported by Commonwealth Department of Health.
WHOS Gunyah® is a drug free residential Therapeutic Community (TC) for men set in the tranquil and heritage grounds of inner Sydney. It’s goal is to help men find freedom from alcohol and other drug dependence (AoD) and discover a better way of living.
The therapeutic community (TC) model of care means that the community itself, through self-help and mutual support, is the principal means for promoting personal change.
The community of clients (referred to as residents) together with staff work to overcome the problem of substance dependence and promote personal change.
Residents are encouraged to take responsibility for themselves and build their awareness of the effect their behaviour has on themselves and the community around them.
Gunyah offers a range of skills development including:
- dependence addiction education including drug overdose and relapse prevention
- social and communication skills, assertiveness skills and self esteem building
- community unity & peer feedback sessions
- harm reduction including education on HIV/Hep C as well as CPR
- men’s issues
- skills based education (e.g. relationship skills, communications skills, conflict resolution)
- participation in external recovery based support networks
- stress management
In addition there are a wide range of community based social gatherings and shared job functions which help to build a sense of collaboration and support.